We appoint the bus Conductors cautiously well trained, knowledgeable in regard to ensure the safety measures and wellbeing of the children on the school bus.
School Bus Nannies Responsibilities
Bus Conductors Accomplish
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; moderate lifting and carrying. Work outside and inside; work around vehicles and machinery with moving parts; moderate exposure to extreme temperatures and vehicle fumes.
Special Knowledge/ Skills
- Ability to follow verbal instructions and communicate effectively
- Ability to operate safety equipment and adaptive equipment
- Ability to work well with children with disabilities
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Lift and carry students with disabilities on and off the bus according to their individual needs.
- Supervise students as they board and leave bus and cross street.
- Take children into building and help them find their way.
- Learn and adapt to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Manage student behavior and report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
Routes and Schedules
- Become familiar with all routes to and from school campus to be of assistance to driver.
- Maintain an updated route schedule.
- Supervise use of seat belts, harnesses, or Bus seats by students.
- Follow emergency procedures and help driver administer first aid, if necessary.
- Operate equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Follow established procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, assisting students, etc.
- Become familiar with and follow procedures established by transportation and special education offices.
- Help driver keep bus clean.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Treating the children, parents and drivers kindly and in a friendly manner.
- The school bus nanny should check the student list to ensure that all children are on board and no one is left behind before the bus leaves.
- Where a child is not present at either pick up and/ or drop of time, the school bus nanny shall advise the Transport Coordinator immediately who shall advise the school bus nanny on action to be taken accordingly.
- The school bus nanny shall, where it is within her reasonable control, ensure the safety of all children on the bus at all the time. If required the school bus nanny shall be permitted to stop the bus in consultation with the driver and report back to the school immediately should she feel that a child’s and/or children’s safety is being compromised.
- The school bus nanny shall not be permitted to remove her seat belt and stand-up when the bus is moving unless when necessary. The Company acknowledges that the school bus nanny will not be able to clearly see the children once the bus has departed the School or the bus stop. However, the school bus nanny will still be expected to carry out her duties diligently and continuously observe the children on the bus as best as she can and ensure discipline is maintained on the bus.
- The school bus nanny must SMS parents in case of a bus delay using the contact list provided by the Company. The school bus nanny must SMS parent for any other reason, after consultation with the Company, where she and the Company believe the matter should be brought to the attention of the parents. Such incidents may include but are not limited to: a) Misbehavior by the (a) children b) Failure to put seat belt on c) Disruptive behavior compromising the safety of others on the bus( d) Any injury to a child whether minor or major
- The school bus nanny must also call the Transport Coordinator / school immediately in the event of an emergency situation. The Transport Coordinator / school will then instruct the school bus nanny to take the required action.
- The school bus nanny must report to the Transport Coordinator / school administration immediately any incident on the bus be it related to the children or the driver. The form of this report and the reasons for reporting an incident will be explained clearly by the Company to the school bus nanny prior to deployment on the buses.